‘Give a Little Back’: Love Leeds Parks’ Fundraising Event
(Added 11/08/21 )
Join Love Leeds Parks on Saturday 4th September from 10.00am – 4.30pm in Golden Acre Park – the launch will be a fun day with activities taking place including:
· free guided walks by Park Manager (at 11am and 2pm)
· name our duck mascot
· make your own duck mask activity for children
· a wish tree; for you to tell us what you’d like to see in our parks (which will give us ideas for future fundraising, or endorse our ideas).
The main focus of the event is the “Give a Little Back,” campaign, which aims to raise funding for the next Community Grant Scheme to enhance public green spaces throughout the city. Love Leeds Parks has an ambitious goal to raise £25,000 by the end of the year.
Last year Love Leeds Parks gave out 13 grants of between £500-£2,500, making a big difference to local green spaces and their visitors, including:
· The Conservation Volunteers – the Wild in the Winter project provided environmental education for children, and offered volunteer leadership opportunities
· Friends of Gledhow Valley Woods – restored a heavily silted pond, including planting to increase biodiversity
· Leeds Coppice Workers – strengthened river banks to reduce erosion, flood risk, habitat loss and water pollution
· Boston Spa Parish Council – constructed wooden shelters to provide year-round protection from the weather.
That’s just some of what was achieved with £23,000 in 2019. If all 798,786 people who live in Leeds, donated just £1 to the ‘Give a Little Back’ campaign, imagine what could be achieved with nearly £800,000!
Parks and green spaces have been a life line for families throughout the pandemic, and continue to offer valuable outdoor space for people of all ages across our city. Why not ‘visit, enjoy and give a little back’ to parks and green spaces. Here’s the Love Leeds Parks donation page: loveleedsparks.org.uk/support-us/donate/.
If you’re on social media please show your support for Love Leeds Parks by sharing their posts using #LoveLeedsParks. You can find them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram @LoveLeedsParks.